Friday, March 28, 2025
A man has been jailed for causing the death of a man and leaving two others seriously injured after a collision in Lytham.
19-year-old Kyah Barton (pictured below) of Ramsgate Road, Lytham was jailed for two years and four months and was disqualified from driving for six years on Wednesday 26th March 2025.
At 12:02am on Thursday 14th September 2023, we received a report of a Toyota Landcruiser having collided with a tree on Blackpool Road in Lytham.
The rear seat passenger, 21-year-old Harrison Bretherton, from St Annes very sadly died in hospital the following day. The two other passengers, a man in his 20s and an 18-year-old girl suffered serious injuries, requiring hospital treatment.
Earlier that night, Harrison and the other passengers were in Lytham and had been in the bar where Barton worked. Barton then met them in another bar later in the evening.
He told the passengers he ‘was fit to drive’ and offered them a lift home.
Whilst on their journey, Barton lost control of the Landcruiser, before it collided with the tree.
He was arrested at the scene, and once in custody, gave a breath sample of 47, the legal limit is 35. Barton admitted to having three drinks that evening.
Barton pleaded guilty to causing death by careless driving whilst over the prescribed limit of alcohol, causing death whilst uninsured and two counts of causing serious injury by careless driving at Preston Crown Court.
Sgt Thomas Malley, of our Roads Policing Unit said: “Barton’s careless driving cost Harrison his life, and my thoughts remain with his loved ones.
“Drink driving is never acceptable. I hope this goes to show that even if you think you are under the limit, you may well not be, and choosing to get behind the wheel after drinking can cost and so quickly change the lives of so many people.”
If you think someone is driving dangerously or is drink driving, please do the responsible thing and report it to us.